In November of 2016, Snapchat unveiled its Spectacles product — a pair of sunglasses that records video directly to Snapchat. On November 23, 2016, the Wild partnered with space150, a local agency, to become the first professional sports team to use Spectacles. The goal was to bring an innovative piece of technology to the established voice and community of the Minnesota Wild's social media channels. The Spectacles were a way to bring fans directly into the arena.
- The full day’s Snap Story saw a 65% completion rate, a 7.1x increase over the previous day’s Snap Story.
- The first portion of the snap story was the practice story and saw a 88% completion rate prior to the game starting.
- The spectacles-only story saw 7.5x more completed views over the previous day.
- Day Before Full Day story: 1,300 / 16,200 = 8%
- Morning Completion Rate: 14,900/ 16,900 = 88%
- Game Completion Rate: 11,000 / 13,100 = 83%
- Full Day Story: 11,000 / 16,900 = 65%
After debuting the Spectacles video content across all of the Wild's social media platforms, we were featured in several publications — locally, nationally and internationally: